Basketful Privacy Notice for California Residents
Last revised: February 5, 2020
Basketful Co. (“Basketful,” “we,” or “us”) offers Add-to-Cart and Shopping List services designed to enhance and optimize the online shopping experience for consumers (collectively, the “Services”). At Basketful, we understand the importance of our users’ privacy and take seriously our responsibility to protect your information. We have prepared this privacy notice (the “Notice”) pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act (the “CCPA”) to provide information regarding the categories of information we collect from California residents, how we use and share that information, and certain rights and obligations relating to that information.
This Notice applies to the personal information we collect from California residents who use our website (www.basketful.co) or use our Services. This Notice does not apply to personal information you may provide to us through other means. For example, it does not apply to personal information we collect in connection with written or verbal business-to-business communications or transactions, which is currently subject to a temporary exemption from some of the CCPA’s requirements.
Personal Information We Collect and How We Collect It
As defined by the CCPA, “personal information” includes any information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular California resident, household, or device. It does not include information that is publicly available from government records or information that has been de-identified or aggregated and can no longer be associated with a particular individual, household, or device.
In the past 12 months, we have collected the following categories of personal information from California residents.
|Category||Examples||Do We Collect?||What We Collect|
|Legally protected classification characteristics||Race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, age (40 years or older), gender, military status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, physical or mental disability||No||N/A|
|Personal information categories in California’s Consumer Records statute||Name, social security number, physical characteristics, address, telephone number, driver’s license number, state identification number, education, employment, employment history, bank account numbers, credit or debit card numbers, medical information, health insurance information, signature||Yes||Name, telephone number,address|
|Identifiers||Name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifiers, IP address, other online identifier, email address, social security number, driver’s license or government identification number||Yes||Name, email address, IP address|
|Internet or similar network activity||Information relating to your interaction with our website or applications, browsing history, search history||Yes||Interaction with our website and applications, browsing history, search history|
|Commercial information||Purchasing or consuming histories, records of personal property, products and services purchased||Yes||Products and services purchased, purchasing or consuming histories|
|Geolocation information||Information regarding physical location, movement, and movement patterns||Yes||physical location to find stores near you via IP or location services|
|Biometric information||Physiological, biological, or behavioral characteristics, such as DNA sequence, finger prints, iris or retina scans, voice recordings, keystroke rhythm or gait, face or palm patterns, vein patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data that contain identifying information||No||N/A|
|Sensory information||Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, or similar information||No||N/A|
|Professional or employment-related information||Prior employment history, performance information, resume or similar information||No||N/A|
|Non-public education information||Education records directly related to a student that are maintained by an educational institution pursuant to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, such as grades, disciplinary records, student schedules, and financial aid information||No||N/A|
|Inferences from other personal information||Inferences drawn from the categories listed above to create a profile about an individual that reflects the individual’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, or aptitudes||No||N/A|
Direct collection: We collect this information directly from you when you choose to provide it to us by filling out forms on our website, requesting information from us, communicating with us (whether via email, website feature, or phone), downloading and using our mobile application, using our online grocery list, interacting with our shoppable landing pages and add to cart cart solutions hosted on brand and publisher websites and social platforms, or otherwise using our Services.
Indirect and technology-based collection: We also collect certain information from you indirectly when you visit, use, and navigate across our website, including your internet domain and IP address, the browser and operating system you use, the date and time you access our website, searches or entries you make on our website, the pages you visit, and whether you linked to our website from a different website (and that website’s web address). We do so by using the following technologies:
- Cookies (or browser cookies). A cookie is a small data file that our website transfers to your computer. We deliver these cookies and collect data on our website, and we may also use a third-party agent to deliver cookies and collect data. We use the data we collect using cookies to help support the integrity of the registration and buying processes on our website, retain your preferences and account settings, and improve our site and your experience.
- Flash Cookies. We may also use flash cookies (local shared objects) to enhance your online experience. Flash cookies are small files similar to browser cookies and are used to remember the site’s settings to personalize the look and feel of the site.
- Web Beacons. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used on our site or in our emails. We use web beacons to deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness, and to tell if an email has been opened or acted upon.
How We Use Your Personal Information
We use the personal information that we collect from you for the following business and commercial purposes:
- To present our website and its contents to you and make any necessary improvements to our website.
- To send you communications and information about our services, offers, promotions, news, and upcoming events for Basketful.
- To provide our Services and fulfill our contractual obligations to our customers regarding the Services.
- To notify you about changes to our website.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our website, if any.
- To comply with applicable laws, regulations, and legal processes.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information or to which you consent.
- As otherwise necessary or useful for us to conduct our business, provided the use is permitted by law. For example, analyzing audience and use patterns from the websites, storing information about your preferences and allowing us to direct or customize specific content to you, and recognizing you when you return to our website.
- For the protection of our operations or those of any of our affiliates, or to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, or that of our affiliates, you, or other parties.
Disclosure of Personal Information
- Service providers, but only as necessary for us to conduct business and provide our Services. This includes services such as marketing, advertising optimization and interest-based targeting, email and text message distribution, data processing, mobile and website analytics, user authentication, and security. We may share any information we collect about you with these Service Providers and authorize them to collect information from you directly to support the services they provide to us. We do not authorize our Service Providers to share or use your information with any other third parties.
- Governmental agencies, as may be required by law.
- Grocery shopping providers in order to add requested items to your grocery cart;
- Where our service is licensed by an advertiser or food platform (“licensee”), we may share your activity regarding that interaction with said licensee;
- If you share your grocery list with a friend, the notification to your friend may include your first name; your friend will also be able to see and/or edit the content of your grocery list;
- If you participate in a referral program, the referral email and referral link sent to any Referred Leads may include your first name;
- If there is a sale of Basketful (including, without limitation, a merger, stock acquisition, sale of assets or reorganization), or in the event that Basketful liquidates or dissolves, we may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of our assets, which could include your information, to the acquirer
During the past 12 months, Basketful has disclosed the following categories of personal information relating to California residents that have used its website, communicated with Basketful, requested information from Basketful, or used it’s services:
|Category of Personal Information||Category of Third Party / Business Purpose of Disclosure|
|Personal Information Categories in California’s Consumer Records law||If you share your grocery list with a friend, the notification to your friend may include your first name; your friend will also be able to see and/or edit the content of your grocery list.If you participate in a referral program, the referral email and referral link sent to any Referred Leads may include your first name.In order to add requested items to your grocery cart, we may share login information with that retailer, which may include your name and email.|
|Identifiers||If you share your grocery list with a friend, the notification to your friend may include your first name; your friend will also be able to see and/or edit the content of your grocery list.If you participate in a referral program, the referral email and referral link sent to any Referred Leads may include your first name.In order to add requested items to your grocery cart, we may share login information with that retailer, which may include your name and email.|
|Internet Activity||Where our service is licensed by an advertiser or food platform (“licensee”), we may share your activity regarding that interaction with said licensee.|
|Commercial Information||In order to add requested items to your grocery cart, we do share grocery list items with grocery shopping providers|
|Geolocation Information||In order to add requested items to your grocery cart, we may choose a specific local retailer based on user location, via IP or location services.|
Please note that we may also use, disclose, or transfer your information in connection with the sale, merger, dissolution, restructuring, divestiture, or acquisition of our company or its assets. We may also disclose your personal information in response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, law, or regulation.
Sale of Personal Information
In the past 12 months, we have not sold any personal information regarding users of the Services.
Your Rights Under the CCPA
The CCPA provides California residents with the rights discussed below. For convenience, and as required by the CCPA, we explain how you can exercise those rights, to the extent they are applicable.
- Right to Request Access Information. You have the right to request that we disclose certain information about our collection and use of your personal information during the past 12 months. Specifically, you may request that we disclose:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you;
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you;
- The business and commercial purposes for collecting your personal information;
- The categories of third parties with whom we shared your personal information;
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you; and
- If we disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, the categories of personal information received by each category of third party.
- Right to Data Portability. You have the right to request that we provide copies of the specific pieces of personal information we collected about you. If a verifiable consumer request is made, and subject to any exceptions or limitations under the CCPA, we will take steps to deliver the personal information to you either by mail or electronically. If we provide the information to you electronically, it will be in a portable and readily useable format, to the extent technically feasible.
- Right to Request Deletion. You have the right to request that we delete personal information we collected from you, subject to any exceptions or limitations under the CCPA.
To exercise the rights described above, you—or someone authorized to act on your behalf—must submit a verifiable consumer request to us by submitting a request via email at email@example.com. Your request must allow us to reasonably verify that you are the individual regarding whom we collected the personal information and must describe the request with enough detail that we can understand and respond to it. Specifically, to verify you and the legitimacy of your request, you must initially provide your name, address, and email address, as well as a detailed explanation of your request. If you do not provide this information, we will not be able to respond to your request or provide you with the personal information requested. We may, however, need to request additional information for verification purposes. Please do not provide social security numbers, government identification numbers, payment card information, bank account information, or any similarly sensitive information as part of your request.
You may only submit requests for access or data portability twice within any 12-month period. As indicated above, please be aware that the CCPA provides certain limitations and exceptions to the foregoing rights, which may result in us denying or limiting our response to your request.
The CCPA requires us to respond to a verifiable consumer request within 45 days, but permits us to extend that period by an additional 45 days, provided we notify you of the reason for the extension in writing. We will notify you that we have received your request within 10 days of its receipt. In general, we will not charge a fee to respond to a verifiable request, unless it is excessive, repetitive, or unfounded.
Our Commitment Not to Discriminate
If a California resident exercises the rights discussed above, consistent with the CCPA, we will not discriminate against that resident by denying goods or services, charging different prices or rates for goods or services, providing different levels or quality of goods or services, or suggesting that the resident will receive a different price, rate, or quality of goods or services.
Changes to this Notice
Please note that we may change this Notice from time to time. We will post changes here and update the “Last Updated” date at the top of this document. Continued use of this website after any changes is deemed to be acceptance of those changes. Please check this Notice periodically for updates.
California’s Shine the Light Law and “Do Not Track” Disclosure
California Civil Code Section 1798.83, also known as the “Shine The Light” law, permits California residents to request and obtain once a year, free of charge, information about the personal information (if any) that Basketful disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. If applicable, this information would include a list of the categories of personal information that was shared and the names and addresses of all third parties with whom we shared information in the immediately preceding calendar year. If the nature of the third party’s business cannot be determined from its name, examples of the products or services marketed may be provided. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that our website and Services do not honor “Do Not Track” signals.
Our Contact Information
To contact us regarding this Notice, your rights under the CCPA, or to exercise those rights, please contact us using the information below.